Prayer Shawl for Lent

Ash Wednesday marks the start of lent.  With a cross marked on our foreheads along with the words "Repent and turn to the Gospel" I started to think about how I could mould myself into a better human being, instead of focusing on my failings and my imperfections.  I thought I should focus on all that is good about me, after all God is full of compassion, forgiveness and love.  With these three words in my mind I remembered a present I had made for my mum on Mothers day in 2016, a Prayer shawl.  For me this gift represented giving back all the love my Mum had given me since I was born. She has wrapped herself up with the shawl many times, when she has felt cold, when saying her prayers or just simply when she needed a hug and I wasn't nearby. It is always there on the back of her favourite chair, ready when needed.
Prayer shawls or peace shawls can be crocheted or knitted for all sorts of reasons; To console those who are grieving, to comfort those who are ill, bring hope to those in despair, for prayer and meditation purposes or they can also be made to celebrate life. These comforts and blessings will come through the faith we have in the power of prayer to the Lord.

What is a Prayer shawl?  Once you have chosen a pattern and yarn, the shawl maker begins with a prayer and blessing for the recipient. Those intentions are continued throughout the creation of the shawl. When completed, a final blessing is offered and then given to the recipient. You can attach a prayer card with it if you wish.

As I start lent and look for ways to spend more time with God, I thought a Prayer shawl would be a wonderful way to pray whilst making a gift. This gift would then give the recipient a feeling of belonging, being loved and knowing they had been prayed for and thought about.

This isn't just a gift for women, there is also a pattern for a men's shawl. This could be a gift for any celebration or occasion.

I would like to share with you the pattern I used for my mum - this image is my finished shawl - click on the image to take you to the free pattern I used.














Here are links to various Prayer Shawl Patterns that I will be working on during lent - click on the picture to take you to the free pattern












































Here is a prayer for a prayer card if you would to attach one to your gift :
This gift was created especially for you with love and prayers,
May this gift be a sign of Christ's Healing presence,
May it warm you when you are weary,
May it surround you with joy,
Grace you with peace and wrap you in love,
And renew you this day and give you hope to sustain you,
Amen.

I always start with a 'Our Father' and ask for blessings for the person before I begin and during a recite the rosary to 'Our Lady', hope this helps

Many blessings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Cross in a Heart

Baptism of the Lord